Tuesday, September 8, 2015

In the year 2007, a bloom hunter I became

Flowers of the Poui tree (Tabebuia rosea) at Bintulu.

Daily Cut flower in
Kambatik Style
In the year 2007, a bloom hunter I became.  It is my passion for plants and photography that made me indulge in bloom hunting, besides a mission to define the Malaysian garden.   I started my first blog on ‘all the plants’ in June, 2007 and initially used the  Nokia phone camera n93i to capture the images mainly in three shots - CU, MS and LS.  The blog currently is in its fourth edition.  I have set myself on a mission to compile all the plants I encounter or hunt throughout Malaysian towns in my pursuit  for a comprehensive list of plants suitable for the Malaysian garden, which I defined as the Kambatik Garden or 'Laman Kambatik' in Malay.   The list covers the major groups of tropical plants, such as fruits trees, ornamental trees, palms, shrubs, covers, grasses, climbers, aquatic plants and orchids.  The blog on orchids - '4 da love of orchids'  is dedicated to garden enthusiasts, photographers, lovers and bloggers of tropical orchids.  Another relevant blog called 'Daily Cut Flowers' concentrates on floral arrangement using flowers in the Kambatik style.  The blogs covering a span of eight years have received reasonably good response as shown by the page views below: (as at 8 Sept'15)......
1) All the plants ( 1st Ed.) - 54,778 
2) All the plants ( 2nd Ed.) - 31,255
3) Laman Kambatik Plants List ( 3rd Ed.) - 210,558
4) Laman Kambatik Plants List (4th Ed.) - 12,764
5) 4 da love  of orchids - 78,718 
6) Daily Cut Flowers - 15,442
                        Total = 403,515 page views

It is my fervent hope that the name 'Kambatik' will one day be accepted into the Kamus Dewan ( Malay dictionary) as the name to define the Malaysian garden.

Happy Malaysia Day, Sarawak.

(Note: This is the 8th  post on what it is meant to be a Malaysian as part of my writing contribution to Malaysia Day which will  to be celebrated on the 16th of September.)



Capturing orchids at the Orchid Park, Kuching.

No comments:

Post a Comment